team mike's paddle
That's right we have a race team...but don't be intimidated! Our team is all about the spirit of O'hana (Hawaiian word for family) sharing the stoke, and living healthy lives. Team members range from beginners to locally/nationally-ranked racers. Come practice, laugh, and sweat (and sometimes cry) with an amazing community of dedicated paddlers!
At Mike's Paddle we understand that diet is a huge part of fitness, so each practice features a designated cook who brings delicious and nutritious food curated by our on-staff nutritionist Suzie Lee!
Qualifications: Must have completed Level 1, 2 and 3 classes. Must have the O'hana spirit.
Do I have to race? Not at all! The main goal of the team is to train, not to win, So you can set your own goals and challenge yourself to race, to paddle longer distances, or to just stay fit. And of course, being part of a team doesn't always mean competing, it also means helping out with organizing races and coordinating the team to get to the races. There is always work to be done, and we handle everything together as one.
Apply for the team now!
Please talk to our head coach, Mike Wang. Call 415-867-6542 or email email@example.com
2018 Open House 5/20/2018
- 5/20/2018 Sat 9:00am-12:00pm Mike's Paddle Team Summer Open House - Paddle, Eat and Meet & Greet
2018 Team Practice Dates
- 4/7/18 Saturday 9am-12pm Race start practice
- 4/14/18 Saturday 9am-12pm SF Giants Practice
- 5/12/18 Saturday 9am-12pm Forward Stroke Practice
- 5/20/2018 Sat 9am-12pm Team Summer Open House/Sunday Fun Race
- 5/27/18 Sunday 2pm-5pm Downwind Practice
- 6/9/18 Saturday 9am-12pm Buoy turns practice
- 6/17/18 Sunday 2pm-5pm Downwind Practice
- 6/24/18 Sunday 9am-12pm Sunday Fun Race @Encinal Beach
- 7/7/18 Saturday 9am-12pm Pre Race Season Practice
- 7/15/18 Sunday 9am-12pm Pre Race Season Practice
- 7/22/18 Sunday 9am-12pm Sunday Fun Race @Encinal Beach
- 7/27 to 7/29 Friday-Sunday PaddleSplash Sacramento (Folsom, CA)
- 8/10 to 8/12 Friday-Sunday Tahoe Nalu (Kings Beach, CA)
- 8/19/18 9am-12pm Sunday Fun Race
- 8/26/18 Sunday 2pm-5pm Downwind Practice
- 9/8/18 Saturday 9am-12pm Race start practice
- 9/16/18 Sunday 9am-12pm Sunday Fun Race
- 9/22/18 Sunday 9am-12pm Pre-Battle of the Bay Practice
- 9/29/2018 Saturday Battle of the Bay (San Francisco, CA)
- 10/5 to 10/7 Friday-Sunday Pacific Paddle Games (Dana Point, CA)
- 10/19 to 10/21 PaddleSplash Bay Area (Alameda, CA)
- 11/10/18 Saturday 9am-12pm Sausalito Paddle
- 11/18/18 Sunday 9am-12pm Forward Stroke Practice
- 12/1/18 Saturday 9am-12pm Richmond Paddle
- 12/16/18 Sunday 9am-12pm Buoy Turns Practice
Sample Team Practices
Team practices are every two weeks for 3 hours. During a month, one of the practices is based in Mike's Paddle and the other is based out of another location in the Bay Area. Transportation to the secondary location is either provided or we carpool. The format of the practices can vary but generally it is as follows:
adult, junior, grom practices
- All adult team practices are on Saturday mornings. We will have dedicated coaches for each of the teams, on occasions we might combine teams when appropriate.
- All Junior and Grom practices are on Sunday mornings. We will have dedicated coaches for each of the teams, on occasions we might combine teams when appropriate.
Mike's Paddle Location Practice
- Hour 1: Info, land warm up and paddle warm up
- Hour 2: PaddleFit either on the beach or on water (see PaddleFit class)
- Hour 3: 2-4 mile paddle
Bay Area Location Practice
- Note: this practice could take up to a whole day due to distance travelled
- Hour 1: Info, land warm up and paddle warm up
- Hour 2-3: Long paddle (this paddle could be a flat water paddle, a downwind paddle or surf depending on the season and conditions)
- We may have different paddles for adults, junior and grom teams in away locations based on abilities.
Regional Races (Required)
We have all the logistics worked out for regional races. We organize rental houses, food and transportation for races in the Bay Area, Lake Tahoe and beyond! The 2018 required Regional Races for team members are:
- At least two of the Mike's paddle Sunday Fun Races
- At least two of the 101 Surf Sports Races
- PaddleSplash by NorCal SUP - Folsom, CA - July 27-29, 2018
- Tahoe Nalu Paddle Festival - Kings Beach, CA - August 11-12. 2018
- Battle of the Bay by Bluerush Surf Sports - September 2018 TBD
- PaddleSplash by Mike's Paddle - Alameda, CA - October 19-21, 2018
Regional and National Races (Optional)
Are you ready for the next level? Here are the regional and national races that we are considering to go to as a team. The final decision will be based on how many people are committed to go. Volunteers are needed, so please contact Mike if you want to organize it!
- Santa Cruz Paddle Fest - Santa Cruz, CA - March 22-25 2018
- Carolinas Cup - Wrightsville Beach, SC April 18-22nd, 2018
- The Great Russian River Race - Guernville, CA - June 3, 2018
- Gorge Paddle Challenge - Hood River, OR - August 18-19, 2018
- PaddleFit Games - Canada - Summer 2018 TBD
- Pacific Paddle Games - Dana Point, CA - October 5-8, 2018
- Blue Water Paddle Race - Bodega Bay, CA - October TBD, 2018
- Davenport Paddle Surf Classic - Davenport, CA - November TBD, 2018
Team Member Commitments and Benefits
- Must represent Mike's Paddle with the spirit of O'hana and sharing the stoke
- Must attend at least one of the team trainings each month
- Must race/support/attend in above required regional races (you don't have to race)
- Must wear Mike's Paddle jersey and hat in races
- Volunteer to help support the team in a way that you feel comfortable
- Belong to a great community of paddlers!
- Be in the know for team-only paddles and trips
- Half price in race/downwind/premium board membership $60/mo (usually $120/mo)
- Team pricing for boards, paddles and gear (20%-50% off retail pricing)
- Team fees are $40 per month to support group expenses such as food and incidentals
- Ad-hoc team members (those who are not committed to all practices) - each practice is $40
- Race/downwind/premium board fees for the team is $60/mo (usually $120/mo)
- Race/downwind/premium board rental fees per day for team members (usually $90/day) - each practice is is $50
- Wetsuit rentals are $20 per day
- No booties rentals available
- Paddle demos are free to all team members, first come first serve
Required Personal equipment
- Personal Floatation Device
- Hydration Pack
- Spring/Summer - Farmer John/Jane 2mm-3mm
- Winter/Spring - Full body 3mm-4mm
- Water shoes
- Spring/Summer - barefoot or sandals
- Winter/Spring - booties 3mm-4mm
We do have team equipment of above but we cannot guarantee quantity or fit for any specific practice. So it is best that you have your own. There are team discounts on all equipment so please contact the shop if you need help with the purchase. Outfitting yourself with all the equipment above can cost anywhere between $300 (used, standard) to $1000 (new, top of the line) depending the quality and usage of the equipment.
optional personal equipment
- Winter Paddling Gear: splash jacket, gloves, hats, booties
- Board: race board, downwind board, SUP surf board
- Race/Surf paddle
- Race Fins
- Adult team: we expect everyone to carpool and help with board loading and unloading - especially if you don't have a board. Usually for away races and outings, we meet at Mike's Paddle first to load the boards to the trailer with the van. All transportation are carpool and not commercial. We do not charge for people transportation.
- Junior team: we expect parents to help carpool the junior team and with board loading and unloading - especially if you kids don't have a board. Usually for away races and outings, we meet at Mike's Paddle first to load the boards to the trailer with the van. All transportation are carpool and not commercial. We do not provide or charge for people transportation.
- Team Rash Guards
- Team T-shirts and Sweatshirts
- Team Truckers Hat