At Mike's Paddle we have incredible teachers and we wanted to give you the opportunity to get to know a few through this series. In this segment, we meet Naushon Kabat-Zinn. Naushon has been studying yoga since she was a teenager and has been teaching in the Bay Area for over 15 years. At Mike's Paddle she offers Half-Day Sup Yoga retreats and Mindful Flow Specialty Classes (there is still time to join her this Sunday by registering here). In October, she will be teaching a Full Moon Flow. Learn more about why she loves SUP Yoga and hear some really great words of advice that she likes to give students who are heading onto the water for the first time.:
1) Why do you love SUP Yoga?
I love SUP Yoga because it gives you a completely different perspective on practice. It makes you go right to the essence. You MUST be present.
2) Paint the picture of one experience on the water that you'll never forget?
I will never forget when we were doing our SUP Yoga Teacher Training, and it was cold and rainy and we had to learn how to do water rescue, and I was soooo resistant to getting into our wetsuits and going out and practicing. And when Mike taught us and we got in the water and practiced the rescues it was actually so much fun!! I just had to get out of my own silly ideas that it was going to be terrible. It was some of the most fun I've had! And now I won't ever forget it.
3) What do you want all your friends to know about SUP Yoga?
That is is truly magical and will bring you back to the most important things in life.
4) When you bring students onto the water, what is your main message to them?
Stay open and be kind to yourself, and let go of any idea that you need to accomplish anything. If you don't want to do something you don't have to. Even if you just sit or lay on your board and breath you will get something out if it.
5) What's your favorite element that you connect with in your SUP Yoga practice?
Being with the elements of nature. Connecting within and without.
6) What's your SUP Yoga spirit animal/creature and why?
Haha my SUP Yoga spirit animal is the bat ray, because we see them playing under us as we are practicing and they are so beautiful!
7) What's your favorite SUP yoga pose?
8) Where would your dream SUP Vacation be?
Greece or Italy